You love your house, you lived in it for 10 years, now you’re moving on and upgrading to a better house.
That’s just wonderful! We hope more Edmontonians get to experience it.
This Wednesday, we at Team Leading Edge listed down 5 main items that you should put your attention on and make sure to have all of it fixed before listing your property on Edmonton MLS. Have these repaired and you'll dramatically improve the value of the property.
You may just think of this as a simple "point of reference". This will not replace or substitute the advice given by the Realtor or home inspector that have personally examined your property, okay?
1. COSMETIC: This is a low-cost repair that mainly concerns the condition (& color) of the paint in your interior.
Since you need to impress potential homebuyers, you’ll need a fresh coat of paint before you take pictures of the property or have it open for the public. It’s a major turnoff if the paint on the wall looks old, have scratches or stains.
Different buyers have different cosmetic taste so you have to play it safe. Instead of option for bright colors, try the subtler, neutral ones.
For more about paint, check out our previous post: Tips & Tricks For Selecting The Correct Shade Of Paint To Help Offer Your Edmonton Home
2. OUTDOORS: This includes everything in your front and back yard; double-check for repair or replacement the fence (if you have one), yard post lamps, storage shed, roof, garage doors and outdoor furniture. Since, we’re at it, please also try to mow your lawn.
The exterior is the first thing that potential buyers will see so providing a great first impression is one way of increasing the chances of a sale.
3. LIGHTING FIXTURE: Sufficient lighting can help make a room look bigger. It will also help potential buyers greatly appreciate the color and quality of the furniture and appliances. Its one way of showing that you’re not hiding anything.
Repair any faulty bulbs. You wouldn’t want potential buyers to think your home is haunted, wouldn’t you?
4. COOKING ROOM: Also know as the kitchen! Our favorite room! It’s where all the calories, carbs and sugary delights are located. Yum!
Considering that this is a very important room, serious inspection is needed to make sure that everything is working in good condition.
Cabinet hinges, tiles, faucet handles and pipes are just some of the things that almost always need repair since these are the ones that experience daily utilization.
If kitchen appliances will come with the sale, please also make sure that everything is in good working condition.
5. TOILET / BATHROOM: The future owners of your property will use these facilities on daily basis so it’s best to make sure everything is in perfect order.
Leaky faucets, loose shower heads, broken toilet seats are just some of the things that you need to make sure to repair if you want to have your home sold. The cost for repair might be a little pricey but it’s going to be totally worth it.
These are the top 5 things that must be in your bucket-list of repairs. Good luck!
For more from Team Leading Edge, follow the team on Twitter at @teamleadingedge. Make sure to subscribe to Team Leading Edge to get newsletters on the Edmonton Real Estate market.
Note: Remember, you can access all our available Homes For Sale in Edmonton through our Edmonton MLS Listings page.
Subscribe and get the daily news, updates and latest trends in Edmonton real estate.